Ultrasound technology to charge electronic devices not yet proven safe - Mosti

KUALA LUMPUR, March 13 (Bernama) -- Ultrasound technology as a method used for wireless charging of devices is not yet proven to be safe, the Dewan Rakyat was told today.

As such, Deputy Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation Datuk Abu Bakar Mohamad Diah said the use of the technology was not encouraged until it has been proven safe.

"The method of charging using ultrasound technology is still at the research stage and internationally, the first prototype using this technology only came out in 2017, he told the Dewan Rakyat sitting today when replying to a question from Rosli Che Mat (PAS-Hulu Langat) who asked if the ministry was ready to provide ultrasound technology for wireless charging of handphones and laptops.

Abu Bakar said although ultrasound-based technology was widely used especially in the oil and gas industry and in flights, more research was needed for its use in telecommunications.

He said so far, there were still constraints in the research such as high costs, frequency levels which meet international safety standards, the size of the ultrasound equipment, the ability to charge several devices and the eco-system to develop the technology in the country.

-- BERNAMA